Runestone in the wall
Runestones were often used as building material when the runestone era was over and the people who commissioned them were long gone and forgotten. The thought of using a runestone when building a house can make us scream today, but Sweden was a country in the northern outskirts of Europe (even if we had a period as a superpower during the 17th and early 18th century) and the poverty was common. The thought of recycling is not as new as we think.
This runestone was first described in the 17th century by the historian Bureus. It was originally placed inside the building (a house in the Old Town) but was moved to its present place and cleaned in 1937. There are only a few fragments left of the text “Torsten och Frögunn de ………. stenen efter ….. sin son” is all that remains and it means “Torsten and Frögunn they…. the stone after … their son”.
The colours are deliberately oversaturated here so you can see the stone and how it fits into the wall; the light conditions were not the best. The old cannon’s function is to protect the corner from being damaged by the wheels and hubs of carriages and carts.